Hotfix 2 for version 0.03 (0.03.H2) is now live. See the change log here: bit.ly/19hbUP7
Now, this month’s update is a small one. It’s probably the least content we’ve released in an update so far …and there’s a reason for it.
We had to make a big call for this update. We were working on some big systems this month and last week we realised we weren’t going to get them done for this update. So we’ve had to pull a lot of content from this update. This highlighted a bigger problem that’s become more and more evident as the game’s development has progressed under Early Access – working to a monthly build has been very prohibiting. Our monthly builds need to be stable enough so that you’re not losing you’re progress every update. It’s just not fun playing a game in pieces. But at the same time we need to move forward and the things we want to move forward with are going to break the game …a lot. What to do? Well starting as of this update, version 0.03 will remain the stable build and in the next few weeks we’ll be starting a new experimental branch that players can opt into. The experimental build will be just that, highly experimental. It will allow us a lot more freedom in development and will allow you to see more immediate progress of the things we’re working on. Because you won’t be seeing that progress reflected in the stable build which most players will be playing, we’ll be going back to fortnightly blog updates on our website how we used to, to keep you up to date with what we’re working on. And of course we’ll be uploading the experimental builds if you want to check it out.
- We have a lot of big things planned. Some of them include:
- Moving over to Unity 5.
- Reworking the terrain system.
- Reworking the ocean – Better and bigger wave animations and more complete buoyancy.
- Reworking a lot of behind the scenes for co-operative game play.
- Incorporating a proper player model with shadows and animations.
- Creating an actual audio system.
- A new loot system incorporating proper scavenging mechanics.
- Improving the construction system to build on the new scavenging system to create more unique structures.
- A tool crafting system – scavenging different handles, bindings and blades to create unique tools and weapons.
Improving the weather with procedural cloud cover and better weather events.
- A map editor and modding tools.
- Heaps more…
We’ll be posting a blog post in the next few days with more details and concept art on what we have planned for the above so stay posted.
The main point of all this is that we don’t want Stranded Deep to turn into an early access game where you come back in a few months and updates time and it basically looks like the exact same game – a game where “progress” is made every month, but nothing really changes or grows into something better. It’s been a hard call to make this month, but we know it’s the right one. We have big plans and are pretty excited so we hope you’ll understand and support us as we do that 🙂
We’ll post an announcement soon with more details on the experimental build.
:: Beam Team